Sunday, March 07, 2010

Boo Movies FIVE YEAR Anniversary

It's Oscar day, and life has once again prevented me from succeeding in my quest to see all of the Best Picture nominated films. I have seen 7 of 10, everything except "The Hurt Locker", "Precious" and "Up". (Off topic: I'm aware that my placement of commas and periods outside of the quotation marks is technically incorrect. However, I believe the people who designed the English language got it wrong, and I refuse to support that error.) It's especially disturbing that I haven't found time to see "The Hurt Locker" as the buzz suggests it's one of the contenders to win. For many well documented reasons (e.g. the St. Louis connection, the Michael Beugg connection) I would love love love if "Up in the Air" swept every category it's nominated in. The other two movies that would also make me very happy if one of them was to win are "District 9" and "Inglorious Basterds". But let's face it, that's not going to happen. I must also add that while "Avatar" was an great movie on many levels, it is certainly not Best Picture worthy. If it wins, as I fear it might, I'll lose a lot of respect for the Academy voters.

I thought all of the Best Picture nominees I saw were very good movies. In fact I gave every one of the a 4 Boos rating. (Correction: I gave "Avatar" a 3 Boos rating.) Oddly (not really), my only 5 Boos rated movie of 2009, "Star Trek", is mysteriously missing from the list of nominees.

In regard to the category Actor in a Supporting Role, even though I saw only 3 of the 5 performances, I find it unimaginable that the ones I missed could possibly outshine Woody Harrelson in "The Messenger".

Lastly I'm rooting for Anna Kendrick for Actress in a Supporting Role for her performance in "Up in the Air" (there it is again).

Cook up a big bucket o' popcorn, set up the DVR so you don't miss a moment, and enjoy the show. I will.

Go Woody! Go Beugg! Go St. Louis! And the Oscar goes to...

Labels:

1 Comments:

At March 07, 2010 1:51 PM, Blogger J. Peter said...

I will also be rooting for Up In The Air to win every category for obvious reasons.

I don't think Avatar should win best picture, great movie but would we be talking about it if it were not for all the 3D hype.

I saw Up which is a great movie probably not my favorite Pixar movie ever but probably in the top 5 at least until the next one comes out.

Go Beugg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home