Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Mom, What's Uncle Jim Doing on Facebook?

I signed up for Facebook very shortly after they opened it to the general public. At the time I thought it was pretty cool. I urged my contemporaries to join too. Most of them scoffed at me. I befriended my college-aged nephew who reportedly exclaimed, "Mom, what's Uncle Jim doing on Facebook? That's only for college kids." Well over time Facebook has changed. Many of the aforementioned contemporaries are now enthusiastic Facebookers. Meanwhile I've grown to... (I'm searching for a word that is reminiscent of "despise," but not quite as strong) ...Facebook.

That was the backdrop when I heard there was a fictionalized account of the creation of Facebook coming to a theater near me. I couldn't have been less interested in seeing "The Social Network." Then everybody started talking about how good it was. Still not interested. Then it was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Dammit!

So in the end I had to see it. It turned out to be a pretty entertaining movie. Certainly more so than I would have predicted. It's not going to win Best Picture nod from me, but it's worth seeing.

I rate "The Social Network" at 4 Boos.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home