Wednesday, February 15, 2012

It Is Alive! and Short!

I saw all five of the Oscar nominees for the best Short Film (Live Action) category tonight. Here we go in alphabetical order...

Pentecost (11 min)
What would it be like if a Catholic parish was run like a sports team? Apparently that's how they do it in Ireland. I loved this movie.

I rate "Pentecost" at 5 Boos.

Raju (24 min)
A German couple goes to India to adopt an orphan. Bad things happen. Suspenseful.

I rate "Raju" at 4 Boos.

The Shore (30 min)
The longest of the shorts. A man returns to Northern Ireland with his daughter for the first time since he left. Old relationships are renewed. The feel-good movie of the group.

I rate "The Shore" at 3 Boos.

Time Freak (11 min)
There is nothing not to love about "Time Freak," and that's before we even talk about it being a time travel movie. I could watch it over and over.

I rate "Time Freak" at 5 Boos.

Tuba Atlantic (25 min)
Oskar really hates seagulls, and he has precisely six days to live. Before he dies he waits for the wind to shift to the west so he can play the big tuba to find his brother.

I rate "Tuba Atlantic" at 4 Boos.

Correction: I now rate "Tuba Atlantic" at 5 Boos. More on this situation here.



I'm drawn to the really short ones. I like the challenge of seeing what can be said in under 15 minutes.

The Boo Movies Short Oscar goes to... "Time Freak." Probably my time-travel bias is rearing its head, but that movie is hard to resist.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home