Sunday, February 27, 2011

Boo Movies SIX YEAR Anniversary Oscar Preview

Tonight is Oscar Night! Let's get right to it.

Actress in a Supporting Role
I saw four of the five nominated performances, everybody except Jacki Weaver in "Animal Kingdom." This is a very strong category this year. My top two are Melissa Leo in "The Fighter" vs. Hailee Steinfeld in "True Grit." Steinfeld should have been nominated for Actress in a Leading Role (where she would have been crushed by Natalie Portman). But she wasn't, she was nominated in the Supporting Role category. Hers was an amazing performance, so I award the Boo Movies Oscar to Hailee Steinfeld.

Actor in a Supporting Role
Again, I saw four of the five nominated performances, everybody except Jeremy Renner in "The Town." There's no contest this time. Christian Bale dominated in "The Fighter." He is the winner of the Boo Movies Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.

Actress in a Leading Role
Well, I only saw three of the five nominated performances, "The Kids Are All Right," "Winter's Bone" and "Black Swan." All the buzz says that Annette Benning will win. I don't get it. Benning gave a great performance, as did Jennifer Lawrence, but Natalie Portman owned the screen this year as the black swan. Congratulations to Natalie Portman, this year's recipient of the Boo Movies Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role.

Actor in a Leading Role
I didn't get to see Javier Bardem in "Biutiful," but I saw the rest. This is a tough one. I will be happy if either Jeff Bridges or Colin Firth goes home with the Oscar. But I am going to award the Boo Movies Oscar to Firth for his role in "The King's Speech."

Short Film (Live Action)
Now we cut to some attractive starlet they sent over the week before to hand out the Oscars in the categories that nobody cares about. Previously the Boo Movies Oscar for Best Live Action Short Film was awarded to "The Confession." Congratulations.

Best Picture
This year I succeeded and have seen all ten of the nominated movies. I am therefore qualified to give out this Oscar. It comes down to three, all of them 5 Boos recipients:

I loved them all. As great as it was "The Fighter" gets edged out (as opposed to knocked out) by the other two. I've gone back and forth between "Black Swan" and "The King's Speech." If either one wins, I'm very happy. But after much deliberation, I award the Boo Movies Oscar for Best Picture of 2010 to "Black Swan."

Cook up a big tub of popcorn, set up the DVR and enjoy the show.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home