Thursday, January 01, 2009

Seven Pounds of What???

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the message of this movie? Suicide is good? You should help your friends commit suicide if it's for a "good" reason??? I was blown away by the ending, especially watching Will Smith writhing the the bathtub...good god, this was supposed to be a movie about being a good person, doing good works??? I think he could have better atoned for his mistake by changing the lives of hundreds or thousands or even millions of people by doing good works while he was alive.

The acting in this movie was excellent - couldn't have been better. Too bad it was wasted on this kind of a message.

This is so hard to rate because up until the end, I thought it was great...but I gotta give it maybe a boo and a half? If I missed something here, please give me a clue...

2 Comments:

At January 06, 2009 2:50 PM, Blogger Steve said...

It's easier to say that he could have better atoned for his mistake, but truth of the matter is, it's more about redemption in his own mind, and despite the extreme method he chose, this is still his decision to make. I can certainly see his point though not agreeing with it entirely but circumstances do change people sometimes.

Good acting, somewhat tough logic for people to understand and hard to connect with Tim Thomas personally. But I will still rate it a 3.5 or 4.

 
At January 06, 2009 8:36 PM, Blogger The Boonatrix said...

Oh, I absolutely agree about it being about his own redemption...the part I don't get is how everyone seems to think it's so wonderful and heartwarming, instead of being so incredibly sad that he thought that was his only choice. And the friend helping him...I know he didn't help the actual suicide...that was very, very sad as well...I guess I do have a slightly different view of it now...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home