Sunday, January 06, 2008

Denzel, Denzel, Denzel, What Were You Thinking?

Well I couldn't get out of watching that Whitney Houston movie I was trying to avoid. To soften the blow, in addition to renting "The Preacher's Wife" we also rented the original movie it was based on, "The Bishop's Wife" (1947).

The original was enjoyable to watch in that historically interesting way of movies of that era. The remake, on the other hand, that was painful. The first major mistake was making the cute little kid the narrator. That is an automatic deduction of the Boo rating right off the top. Then the movie was rewritten to become nothing more than a vehicle to force me to listen to Whitney Houston singing. Suffice it to say when Whitney Houston's character had to step in for the final song in the children's Christmas pageant because the Virgin Mary left the stage, I thought I was going to die.

I consoled myself walking out of the video store by thinking it wouldn't be too bad because Denzel Washington was in it. Sadly, I was wrong... very wrong.

I rate "The Bishop's Wife" at 3 Boos.
I rate "The Preacher's Wife" at 1 Boo.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At January 06, 2008 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, come on, the Preacher's wife wasn't THAT bad...and Whitney has a beautiful voice, although I will agree, she jumped the shark when she filled in for the V.M.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home